About the island
Natural and cultural heritage pearl
Sveti Marko Island (St. Marco) is located near the town of Tivat, in the Bay of Kotor, near Tivan town, Montenegro.
According to an Ancient Greek legend the island was the gift of gods to Greek soldiers who healed their wounds after battles on the island. Out of gratitude, they swore that they will never again wage a war on their own, but only protect themselves if need be. They broke the oath eventually, and the enraged gods sent a deadly storm which killed everyone on the island, leaving only the beautiful old olive trees. Original name of the island in the Middle Ages, during the rule of the Serbian monarchs, was Sveti Gavrilo and according to another legend monastery dedicated to the mentioned Saint occupied the island. Together with the Sveti Mihailo Island it formed the Archipelago of the Holy Archangels. After the takeover of the Montenegrin littoral by the Venetian republic, the island became known as the Stradioti, after the Venetian cavalry composed mainly of the ethnic Albanians who had their fortress and barracks built on the island in 1499. Towards the end of the 16th century, the military units were disbanded and island was named after Sveti Marko, the protector of Venice.
The Island is a natural and cultural heritage pearl in Tivat's bay. Entirely covered with greenery, mainly olive and cypress trees.
It is one of the last fully preserved natural areas in Boka Bay and one of only seven islands along Montenegrin coast. Archaeologists suggest that the island is an important archaeological site and that any intervention on the island should precede detailed scientific research.
Today it is a privately owned property.